Ian Sharman began running in 2005 and has never looked back. In the summer of 2013, Ian won the prestigious Leadville Trail 100 in Colorado and in September, he completed the Grand Slam of Running (Western States 100 in California, Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run, Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run in Utah, and Leadville Trail 100) in the fastest time to date. Ian is best known for his win at the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler, which stands as the fastest 100-mile trail time in North America, at 12 hours, 44 minutes.
Ian has run over 180 marathons and ultra-marathons in more than 30 countries, with close to 40 wins and numerous course records. In addition to training, Ian is an online running coach, journalist and runner for Scott Running. Originally hailing from Great Britain, Ian now resides in California with his wife Amy.
- 2013 Grand Slam of Ultra Running - 1st place and Overall Record (69:49:38)
- 2013 Leadville Trail 100 - 1st place (16:30:01)
- 2013 Wasatch Front 100 - 2nd place (21:01:30)
- 2013 Cinderella Trail 50k - 1st place and new course record (4:17:44)
- 2013 Diablo Trails Challenge 50k - 1st place and new course record (4:15:13)
- 2012 Across the Years 24 Hour - 1st place (109 miles)
- 2012 The North Face Endurance Challenge - 1st place and new course record (5:57:39)
- 2012 Sunriver Marathon - 1st place and new course record (2:36:08)
- 2012 Mt. Hood 50 Miler - 1st place and new course record (6:24:47)
- 2012 Napa Valley Marathon - Unofficial World Record for Fastest Elvis (2:40:53)
Ian's Top 5:
- Shades - I live in California, so it's rare to not run in the sun, which I'm not complaining about.
- Access to trails - I love roads and trails but mainly like to get away from the crowds on the nearest trail system whenever in a city.
- 40oz Hydro Flask for after a hot run in the wilderness - it's perfect to have iced water waiting for me if it's hot outside.
- GPS watch - I'm a numbers geek and love to see the stats from my runs.
- Scott Kinabalu trail shoes - these got me through numerous 100-milers this year and are my go-to shoes.