Joseph EnciniaSport: Yoga
Hometown: Dallas, TX
Currently: New York, NY
Through the practice of Bikram Yoga, Joseph Encinia has transformed his life and accomplished what he believed to be impossible. Joseph has overcome chronic health problems through years of hard work and dedication to his practice. In 2009, Joseph won the first of three National Yoga Asana Championship titles, and in 2011, he was the International Yoga Asana Champion. Joseph has since dedicated himself to teaching and sharing his talents with other yogis.
Joseph hasn’t always been healthy. Now, in large part due to Bikram Yoga, he is in the best shape of his life. Diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at a young age (which affected the majority of the left side of his body), he spent years in and out of Scottish Rite and Children’s Hospital trying to rehabilitate and strengthen his joints and muscles. After a major knee surgery, he taught himself how to deal with the discomfort and move on. As a result, his physical activities were limited and he was consistently taking pain medication. Then, at the age of thirteen, quite unexpectedly, he had a heart attack. He was not the only one surprised – family and friends were caught off guard as well. The causes are unknown, but most likely hereditary; regardless, it made a tremendous impact, and he has explored many forms of exercise since to regain control of his health.
In 2005, Joseph discovered Bikram Yoga. He simply expected a physical workout, but he found much more than that. He has transformed, and he no longer suffers constant pain. Joseph has gained a peace of mind he previously never knew existed. He has transcended many limitations within himself – mentally, physically and emotionally.
Joseph has learned to accept responsibility for making changes in his life. “Bikram Yoga has taught me to look at challenges in front of me, smile, and meet them head on,” he says. “I have learned to focus on the tasks at hand and live in peace with myself and the world around me. To me, this is the gift of yoga.” For Joseph, the responsibility of this gift is to share it for the rest of his life.
- 2009 National Yoga Asana Championship - 1st place
- 2009 International Yoga Asana Championship - 2nd place
- 2011 International Yoga Asana Championship - 1st place
- 3-time National Yoga Asana Champion
Joseph's Top 5:
- The most obvious is my Hydro Flask. I love using the 40 oz bottle in white! It keeps me cool, especially with how it keeps the water ice cold during a hot yoga practice.
- Proper men's yoga shorts / attire. I find that they vary in style and size, but my favorite is a medium thigh length fitted short that doesn't restrict my movement. My favorite company is YogaBela.
- A travel yoga mat! I have traveled worldwide giving yoga demos and nothing feels more like home than standing barefooted on my own yoga mat for classes and demonstrations.
- Electrolyte supplements is so key to maintaining a stamina in training. I thoroughly enjoy drinking coconut water and taking other supplements.
- A Foam Roller! After a tough day's workout performing demos, there is nothing better than rolling out some overused, tired muscles!